Skip to content

Grandaisy Bakery – It’s All About the Bread

I’ve got to get this out of the way up front – I hate the name “Grandaisy“. This bakery used to be called the Sullivan Street Bakery – a nice, professional-sounding, New York kind of name. But even before it moved away from Sullivan Street (and, happily, closer to my office), it adopted this new moniker, and I just can’t seem to get used to it. The baked goods, pizzas and sandwiches are so good, though, that I’m more than willing to ignore the name. The new space (250 West Broadway at Beach St.) is larger than the previous one, with lots of sunlight and a few seats.

Grandaisy’s bread, which contributes to both the wonderful flatbread pizzas and the rotating selection of sandwiches, is the brainchild of Jim Lahey, who recently attracted attention with the opening of  Co. pizzeria. This bread is serious stuff – it takes something as simple as the pomodoro pizza (just bread and tomato sauce) and makes it into a complex eating experience: chewy, flavorful and satisfying.

But this is a sandwich blog, so I’ll move on to the sandwiches. Grandaisy offers a daily selection of 2 or 3 different sandwiches, both vegetarian and meaty. On recent visits the most interesting options have been the veggie ones, so I present you with the most breakfast-y sandwich I’ve eaten for lunch in a while (since I scarfed down a Defonte’s egg and potato sandwich after their Manhattan location opened).

The spaghetti squash, butter, and apricot jam sandwich ($5), studded with golden raisins and walnuts, would have been way too sweet without the bread. I think throwing in some salty prosciutto or peppery arugula would have evened things out a lot, but even with the sweetness, I couldn’t find fault with this sandwich. The squash provided mostly a background texture, with the flavor coming from the jam and the ungodly amount of (excellent) butter slathered everywhere. Encountering the occasional raisin or walnut was a nice surprise, though there could have been a few more nuts, in my opinion. And the bread – the crust was so crisp my entire office turned towards me when I first bit into it, yet the interior was perfectly moist and chewy, with a lovely, open crumb. The bread perfectly balanced out the softness of the fillings. While the sandwich felt more like eating jam and bread for breakfast, and probably won’t fill you up if you’re starving at lunchtime, it’s a tasty snack from a fantastic bakery – and if you’re still hungry, there are pizza slices and baked goods to tide you over.

The sandwiches are straightforward, but made with fantastic ingredients:
grandaisyplot

Full frontal:

gd_02

Check out the crazy amount of butter:

gd_01

The packaging looks nice (even if the name is silly):

gd_03

Grandaisy Bakery on Urbanspoon

Share the sandwiches:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Technorati
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz

35 Comments

1. Shiv Nair wrote:

They may be innately doubtful of new or unproven ideas,
    concepts, and people. Even if you don’t think you can write
    a 200-page book, there are steps and guidelines that
    will help you when creating your book. If you acquire these skills, making money with affiliate programs is as simple as “ABC.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 4:25 am | Permalink
  2. quit smoking wrote:

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
    you happen to be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will
    come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage
    that you continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!

Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  3. When he ascended to heaven, he did not forget the children he
    left down here. “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. Tradition tells that Paul was martyred in a Roman amphitheatre.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Permalink
  4. Good replies in return of this query with solid arguments and telling the
    whole thing regarding that.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink
  5. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in reality used
    to be a enjoyment account it. Look complicated to more introduced agreeable from you!
    However, how could we be in contact?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
  6. http://blog. wrote:

Où indivisible tout ameuté, irréductible meneur et des États-Rattachés pas du
    tout abatte jamais disproportionnée être égal du débris
    du densité

Friday, March 13, 2015 at 9:05 am | Permalink
  7. intermedio7. wrote:

Une communauté puis leurs dédommagement n’assortit aucune créance, sinistrement leurs issu
    désagréable bizarre malversation campe haut

Friday, March 13, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
  8. Wonderful items from you, man. I’ve consider your stuff previous to and you are
    just extremely great. I actually like what you’ve bought right here, really
    like what you’re stating and the best way through which you are
    saying it. You’re making it enjoyable and you still take
    care of to stay it smart. I cant wait to learn far more from you.
    That is really a terrific web site.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:56 am | Permalink
  9. kites wrote:

Remarkable things here. I am very happy to see your post.
    Thanks so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a mail?

Monday, March 16, 2015 at 4:29 am | Permalink
  10. Thank you for every other fantastic article. Where else may anyone
    get that kind of information in such a perfect approach of writing?

I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such information.

Monday, March 16, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  11. First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you
    do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center
    yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I have had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.

I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes
    are generally lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips?
    Kudos!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 3:59 am | Permalink
  12. Cole wrote:

Winning the Administrative Hearing: It is usually difficult to win an administrative hearing.
    After you’ve addressed your injury, it’s important
    to raise your voice to the local, state, and federal officials who administer and regulate public transportation agencies.
    Each of these will be explored in greater depth below.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
  13. Howard wrote:

I was excited to find this website. I need to to thank
    you for your time for this particularly
    fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of
    it and i also have you saved as a favorite to look at new stuff in your web site.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 11:05 pm | Permalink
  14. http://www. wrote:

All the slots now every single day are designed to commit out pre determined sum of
    cash through the casinos.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink
  15. I would like a pair of Carstons for my husband!

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 9:19 pm | Permalink
  16. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a
    doubt donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding
    your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 10:45 pm | Permalink
  17. No matter where one stands on troubles of corporate personhood,
    trusts and restricted liability businesses are notoriously un-photogenic.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Permalink
  18. Colette wrote:

Communication from key people is critical at this point.
    It’s a catch twenty-two that there is no way around, a vicious cycle that can really make or break us depending on how equipped your business plan is
    and what your backup plan is if you have one. For
    instance, can you work a full or part time job
    and do distance learning.

Monday, March 30, 2015 at 3:34 am | Permalink
  19. Lui-même y contiendra pour ainsi dire cette
    aveu du barque contre France

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink
  20. Check the local directory for suppliers of green furnishings.
    Cohesion, the life wisdom raised from worldly artists;.
    It is regarded as rustic vintage furniture which was commonly used in French country provinces.
    Loft beds are available in many shapes and sizes,
    but they all try to take up as little space as possible,
    while maximizing the possibilities provided.
    Pine furniture can also be easily scratched and dented and so
    care needs to be taken when handling the piece of furniture.
    Before buying any cabinets, open all of the drawers and look inside.
    Also, think about the cushions that are on outdoor furniture.
    If you do no want your house to be smelly, then you should buy litter boxes for them.

Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
  21. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you may
    be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and may
    come back later in life. I want to encourage you continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 5:09 am | Permalink
  22. Francis wrote:

If you want to obtain a great deal from this article then you have to apply such strategies to your won webpage.

Monday, April 6, 2015 at 11:02 am | Permalink
  23. I know this web site offers quality dependent articles or reviews and extra information, is there any other web site which offers these things in quality?

Monday, April 6, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink
  24. Freebies wrote:

It’s difficult to find educated people on this topic, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

Monday, April 6, 2015 at 10:15 pm | Permalink
  25. uroda wrote:

Now, if you are looking for such a brand, you should consider the Bourne
    shoes. It compares the design of vintage motorcycles to today’s models.
    Choose not only from the styles of the shoes but also make
    sure that they ate comfortable.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 3:58 am | Permalink
  26. You must download Winterboard, after your device is jailbroken. Some supply your iPhone with improved alternatives.
    And these systems may apple to other iOS devices as well.
    Does somebody hide programs on an iPhone?

Friday, April 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink
  27. Construction wrote:

Provide for unseen emergencies, likely increase in costs, change in specs and so on.
    Company owners and project managers use the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
    to make complex projects more manageable. If the bathroom
    is not safe, you should definitely remodel
    it.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 3:00 am | Permalink
  28. Ses réflecteurs avec cloîtrer par 2e coruscant 3e estomac ses éblouissements enchanteurs inconfortable gowex

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:49 pm | Permalink
  29. You can certainly do this by using it with your WiFi.
    That being said, there’s a pattern that more android programmers will get to the trade.

I get angry make explanations, or sulk in silence.

Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink
  30. webpage wrote:

At least 54 million lbs of clothing have been gathered from USAgain recycling bins around the country in 2014.

The country’s clothes reuser offers an outlet to deliver unwanted
    clothes an additional lifetime from a system of countless reusing bins
    placed countrywide. Through redirecting 54 million pounds of textiles, USAgain and
    its clients kept 378 ,000,000 pounds of carbon dioxide away from getting into surroundings, preserved greater than 75.6 billion gal water, and even 308,571 cubic meters of dump space.

USAgain reusing projects are organised in partnership with municipalities, regional enterprises,
    occasion centered regional community runs and also fundraising of colleges and also non-profits.
    A lot more than 12,500 clothes collection containers around 19 states offer customers using a convenient
    method for discarding the extra clothing or shoes within an eco-friendly liable form.

“We hope to lessen the depressing consequences from outfits and shoes with our natural environment through improving their recycling and reuse.
    Its important is to help textile reusing a convenient
    part of lifestyle,” described Mattias Wallander, head with USAgain.
    “Clothes recycling strategies are getting attention with
    municipalities with a goal to increase their generally waste diversion levels and also we’re working diligently to aid the purpose”.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 3:02 am | Permalink
  31. moda wrote:

After his death, the business was successfully
    carried on by his three sons. It compares the design of vintage motorcycles to today’s models.
    Wearing an elegant UGG boot with tight jeans can give you a classy
    and beautiful look.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 7:39 am | Permalink
  32. zapraszamy wrote:

So, it is necessary that you plan your shoe budget before buying one.
    Bourne’s President, Thomas Mc – Claskie, always uses his creative imagery
    to make trendy shoes for men. The cable breaking system is also new feature
    added to the line of three wheel strollers.

Friday, April 24, 2015 at 6:07 am | Permalink
  33. The focus at this time do not eat snacks in the middle. Coffee processors
    (or whoever those people are that make the miracle of coffee)
    take the beans and roast them at high temperatures to bring out the rich flavors,
    aromas, and deep colors of ‘regular’ coffee.

You’ve got made an enormous step ahead should you determine to undergo a weight reduction plan that
    features exercise and eating right in order that you’ll
    really feel better and have extra energy to do something constructive in your life.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  34. achat d' wrote:

Nous ne recommandons pas les purificateurs ioniseur usb car ce sont plus des
    gadgets que de veritables purificateurs d’air.

Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 6:46 am | Permalink
  35. kill la kill wrote:

kill la kill episode 17

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 6:51 am | Permalink

4 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. fifa ultimate team hack on Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 3:49 pm

fifa ultimate team hack…

Grandaisy Bakery – It’s All About the Bread | Simply Sandwiches…

2. austin dumpster rentals on Monday, April 6, 2015 at 11:05 pm

austin dumpster rentals…

Grandaisy Bakery – It’s All About the Bread | Simply Sandwiches…

3. Nba 2k15 locker codes generator on Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Nba 2k15 locker codes generator…

Grandaisy Bakery – It’s All About the Bread | Simply Sandwiches…

4. candy crush soda saga cheats on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 10:29 am

candy crush soda saga cheats…

Grandaisy Bakery – It’s All About the Bread | Simply Sandwiches…