Skip to content

Marvelous Mortadella Monster

I wandered into Bottega Falai (267 Lafayette St) totally clueless. I was hungry, it was lunchtime and they have that minimalist all-white design with all items in tiny-bottles that just screams ‘European’, and my was I hungry for some European food. I looked around and didn’t see much of anything beyond the anemic little panninis in the cooler. Then I saw a cut-out of Ed Levine’s review of their Mortadella panini ($8) and realized I’d dun good. It turns out they actually do have a ‘sandwich menu’ on the back wall, in mostly illegibly various fonts, there are some options for sandwiches (meat n veg). For a fancy European coffee shop in soho, $8 for a sandwich ain’t bad at all.

The sandwich was wonderful. First of all, unlike their brethren across the pond, this sandwich was huge. Not American-obscene-huge, but European-huge. The focaccia was soft and fluffy and oil. The Mortadella was salty, wonderfully thinly sliced and *bountiful*. The mozzarella was actually flavorful and not the cold slug you often get. The tomatoes were pretty bland, oh well, three out of four ain’t too bad.

Simple enough to make, but wonderfully tasty ingredients

It’s a quarter loaf!

See, no short changing on the Mortadella

Share the sandwiches:
  • Digg
  • Technorati
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz

1. Peter wrote:

Man oh man does that bread look good. I’ve had a number of experiences lately pairing phenomenal bread with unimpressive-to-sub-par ingredients and it has been a wonderful reminder of just how g-d *good* good bread can be.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink
  2. Claire wrote:

Delicious,but learn to spell:

M O R T A D E L L A

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink
  3. Episode 41 (Like Father, Liike Clown) Air Date: 10-24-1991.
    He starts by building his hometown, and the next buildings he adss are the Kwik-E-Mart and
    the Flanders’ House. If you ant to acquire this game,
    you can hitt here and it will redirect tto the
    link in Amazon where you can order it, the game is
    cheap and is great to play it, sso you will have an amazing game by a
    really low price. It is usually for ones hostile player
    who actually doesn`t want to bother wkth their own running shoes eben when his or
    her’s learning tennis.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
  4. Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of people that I think woulod really appreciate your content.
    Pleazse let mee know. Cheers

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Permalink
  5. I wass wondering if you eveer tought off changing the
    page layout of your blog? Its verry well written; I love
    whuat youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the
    waay of content so people could connect with itt better.
    Youve goot an awful lot of tex for only having 1 orr 2 images.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

Saturday, August 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Permalink
  6. Promotional wrote:

If you really take the tips here in this guide to heart,
    you should have no problem truly making the most out of the latest promotional products.
    It is essential that you present your promotional items in a manner that will catch the interest and the eye of your subscribers to keep them wanting for more.

Concert tour legs come in different ways, depending on the performer and
    the location.

Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  7. Doh! I was domain searching at and went to type in the domain name: and guess who already
    had it? You did! lol j/k. I was about to purchase this domain name but realized it was taken so I figured I’d come check it out.
    Awesome blog!

Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 3:07 am | Permalink
  8. view private wrote:

Hey! I was interested to know if setting up a blog website such your
    own: is challenging to do for unskilled people?
    I have been hoping to create my own website for a while now but have been turned off mainly because I’ve always
    assumed it required tons of work. What do you think?

Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 2:48 am | Permalink